Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 14:54:23 EDT

May Twp is bounded on the north by Stonington Twp; on the east by Prairieton Twp and Assumption Twps. and on the west by Taylorville Twp. In the early days this territory was a portion of Taylorville and Stonington precincts, but was divided and made into a separate township when township organization was adopted in 1866. It was first called "Smith" then to "Howard" and then to "May". It was named in honor of the brave Colonel May, of the artillery arm of the service in the Mexican War. The first mill was 1836.

Washington School #61
Willeys School #62
Pleasant Hill School #63
Willowdale School #64
Brushy Branch School #65
Spring Creek School #66
Fraley School #67
Sandersville 1837
Waddle Settlement
Clawson' Point
Long's Store
Willey's Station 1808
Old Stonington Baptist Church 1837-1987
Willowdale Methodist Church 1887-1969
Spring Creek United Presbyterian Church 1852-19170
Bethan United Brethren Church 1884
Free Methodist Church
Fraley Cemetery 1878
Harris #1 Cemetery
Harris #2 Cemetery
Long or Brushy Branch Cemetery
Tanner Cemetery
Williams graves and has long been done away with
Unknown Cemetery.....Harris family is bured there but no stones could be found
Indian Graves..west of Falt Branch on two farms